Thursday, September 25, 2014

Iowa Trip Day 11 Monday Aug. 4th 2014 - Harney Peak

This morning the first thing we did was hike Harney's peak.  This will be my 3rd time hiking this, but I'm very excited to experience this with my boys.  My boys were beyond excited to hike on a real trail!



Us at the trail head.



I love this bench.


The trail map


Our first little rest stop



What is Adam pointing at?


The fallen tree, he thought that was cool.


We HAD to stop so the boys could climb these rocks.


along the trail


From this place we could see Harney Peak.




That's where we are headed!


My cute boys


This ladybug landed on Peter's shirt and then hung out on his hand for about 20 minutes before he flew away.


The boys played in this creek for a bit.



Having fun!


Uncle Jason and Peter.


so yeah, rain is coming!  We got drenched on the hike back down.


We made it to the top!  Harney Peak is 7,242 feet and is the highest point east of the Rockies.  Peter can now say that he has hiked to the to the tallest peak both East and West of the Rockies since he has hiked to the top of Mount Whitney a few years ago.






I seriously love the Black Hills.



After exploring the look out, we took a break and had a snack.




I LOVE these pictures of my boys.  and they loved exploring all the rocks.
Peter.


Adam.


Sam.


On the way down it started raining, Adam was very happy.  Then it started pouring.  I put my camera away then and we high tailed it back to the car!






Once back in the car, we drove past Sylvan Lake and drove Iron Mountain Road.  If you don't know about Iron Mountain Road, Google it, then make plans to go there ASAP!  It is absolutely breathtaking and includes:

17 MILES
314 CURVES
14 SWITCHBACKS
3 PIGTAILS
3 TUNNELS
4 PRESIDENTS
2 SPLITS


This is us going through the tunnels.




Once we passed through the tunnels we stopped at the overlook.
This is one of the tunnels we just went through.


My beautiful boys with an equally beautiful background.



Me and my dad.  Notice my hair...it is still super wet from our hike!


Another tunnel.  


I really had fun driving this road, but because I was driving, I didn't get enough pictures!



Do you see what's in the background?


The boys' first glimpse of Mount Rushmore. 






After that super fun drive, we headed for Keystone for some food and shopping.
Oh yeah, It's also Sturgis Week.  Don't know what that is?  Google it!  Its a HUGE motorcycle rally held every year in the Black Hills.  There were bikes EVERYWHERE!    





After dinner, we shopped for a little while then it started raining again so we headed back to the campground for the night.

My boys in Keystone.


No comments: